Self Portrait Tutorial
Every photographer needs a good portrait of themselves! Don’t have anyone to take one of you? Shoot Yourself!!
The trickiest and most important part of the photo.
- Use BBF (Back Button Focus) Not sure what this is? Canon users go here. Nikon users go here. Using BBF allows you to lock your focus point so that when you go to press the shutter, activating the timer, your focus will not change
- Pick a spot in the frame and do your best to put yourself there. This may take several attempts. LOL Ok, it WILL take several attempts, but you’ll get it.
- I most often shoot at around 2.0-ish vs. shooting wide open to ensure that I have a better chance at actually being in focus. You may want to stop down even more than that though if you’re having trouble nailing focus.
- Something I often do is put a chair or some other object where I plan to be so I have something to focus on, then when I go to get in the frame, I just remove the object and hop in!
Use your timer!
- I don’t use a remote for selfies. I don’t like trying to conceal and it’s just one more thing I have to think about while also trying to look good for the camera! LOL
- So set your timer and get into your frame fast! Taking selfies can be a good form of exercise! ;)
Make an (educated) guess at the exposure and then adjust if needed after the first shot. Yep, that’s all I do. Nothing too tricky here. ;)
This part can be difficult too. You’ve just selected your focus point. You have to remember where that spot is. You’ve also just pressed the shutter and only have 10 seconds to get your shot. Now you have to think about how to position yourself, where to put your hands, and… wait… does my smile look funny? Are my eyes only half open? No one at the camera to tell you that!
- Practice in the mirror! Don’t worry, we won’t watch. It really does help. You have to know what you’re going to look like.
- If you’re having trouble thinking of ways to pose yourself, look some up and get inspired. :)
- It’s going to take a LOT of tries to get a shot you’re happy with most likely so don’t get discouraged!